Saturday, July 20, 2013
Chip Maker, Posting a Loss, Seeks to Enter Game Market
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Detroit, Embracing New Auto Technologies, Seeks App Builders
Bill Vlasic contributed reporting from Detroit.
Sunday, June 23, 2013
F.T.C. Head Seeks End to Misuse of Patents
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Bits Blog: Google Seeks Permission to Publish Data on Security Requests
Jeff Chiu/Associated Press Google’s motion with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court on Tuesday is the company’s latest move to control the public relations crisis that has resulted from revelations of government Internet surveillance.Google on Tuesday filed a motion with the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, asking permission to publish data on national security requests that were made to it and authorized by the court.
The motion is the company’s latest move to control the public relations crisis that has resulted from revelations of government Internet surveillance. It is an escalation of Google’s efforts to publish the data. Last week, it sent a letter to the director of the F.B.I. and the director of national intelligence, asking for the same thing.
By law, recipients of national security requests are not allowed to acknowledge their existence. But with the permission of the government, Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft and Apple have in the last few days published aggregate numbers of national security and criminal requests, including those authorized by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Google has not, because it said that would be less transparent than what it had already published. Its transparency report has since 2010 broken out requests by type, and if it agreed to the same terms the other companies did, it would not be able to publish the report that way in the future.
In the motion, Google argued that it had a First Amendment right to publish a range of the total number of requests and the number of users or accounts they cover.
Google said that its executives had responded to allegations — that it cooperated with the government in Internet surveillance — as best they could, given the government’s restraints on discussing them. But the company said that it wanted to do more for the sake of its reputation, business and users, and for the sake of public debate.
“Google’s reputation and business has been harmed by the false or misleading reports in the media, and Google’s users are concerned by the allegations,” the motion said. “Google must respond to such claims with more than generalities.”
The tech companies have been pressing to be able to publish the number of government requests largely to prove that the requests cover a tiny fraction of users. Though the other companies said they were also pushing the government for permission to publish more detailed data, they said the aggregate numbers were useful to control speculation by setting a ceiling on the number of requests.
Other tech companies affected by the government’s surveillance program, called Prism, have considered going to the secret court, an option that is still on the table, according to two people briefed on the discussions. So far, the companies have been individually negotiating with the government instead of acting in concert.
Still, even if they are allowed to publish more detailed numbers, it would leave many questions unanswered, including details of how Prism works. Also, the number of people affected by FISA requests could be much larger than the number of requests, because once the government makes a broad request, it can add individuals and additional search queries for a year.
Google’s motion also revealed that two of its top lawyers, Kent Walker and Richard Salgado, have security clearance, which FISA requires for handling classified legal orders and materials. It was filed on behalf of the company by Albert Gidari, a partner at the law firm Perkins Coie who has earned a reputation in tech and legal circles as the go-to man on surveillance law.
Monday, June 3, 2013
Commissioner Seeks End to Roaming Fees in Europe
James Kanter contributed reporting from Brussels.
Monday, April 8, 2013
Bits Blog: Facebook Seeks to Be Mobile ‘Home’ of Android Users
Jim Wilson/The New York Times Mark Zuckerberg introduced the Facebook Home app at the company’s Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters.9:20 p.m. | Updated Added more details and analysis.
MENLO PARK, Calif. — Cellphones have long been Facebook’s Achilles’ heel. With its users flocking to mobile phones by the millions — and many of its newest users never accessing the services on computers at all — the company has struggled to catch up to them.
On Thursday, Facebook unveiled its latest, most ambitious effort to crack the challenge: a package of mobile software called Facebook Home that is designed to draw more users and nudge them to be more active on the social network.
The new suite of applications effectively turns the Facebook news feed into the screen saver of a smartphone, updating it constantly and seamlessly with Facebook posts and messages.
In so doing, Facebook has cleverly, perhaps also dangerously, exploited technology owned by one of its leading rivals, Google. Facebook Home works on Google’s Android operating system, which has become the most popular underlying software for smartphones in the world.
The Facebook News Feed appears as soon as the phone is turned on. Pictures take up most of the real estate, with each news feed entry scrolling by like a slide show. Messages and notifications pop up on the home page. To “like” something requires no more than two taps. Facebook apps are within easy reach, making the phone essentially synonymous with the Facebook ecosystem.
“Today, our phones are designed around apps, not people,” said Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, at a news conference here at the company’s headquarters. “We want to flip that around.”
Facebook Home will be available for download from Google’s app store, Play, on April 12 for four popular, moderately priced phones that use Android and are made by HTC and Samsung. A fifth one, a new model called the HTC First, will be sold by AT&T for $100 with the software already loaded.
For the time being, Facebook will not show ads on the phone’s home screen, which Facebook is calling Cover Feed. Since advertising revenue is crucial to the company’s finances, however, it will almost certainly display ads there in the future.
Facebook Home is also clearly designed to get Facebook users to return to their news feeds even more frequently than they do now. Every time they glance at their phone at the supermarket checkout line or on the bus to work, they will, in essence, be looking at their Facebook page.
“It’s going to convert idle moments to Facebook moments,” said Chris Silva, a mobile industry analyst with the Altimeter Group. “I’m ‘liking’ things, I’m messaging people, and when ads roll out, I’m interacting with them and letting Facebook monetize me as a user.”
Krishna Subramanian, the chief marketing officer at Velti, a San Francisco-based company that buys targeted advertisements online on behalf of brands, pointed out that even without showing ads on the mobile cover feed, Facebook Home could prove to be a lucrative tool.
By nudging its users to do more on the social network, he said, the company will inevitably get “an explosion of mobile data that can be tied back into desktop advertising” to Facebook users.
A majority of Facebook’s one billion-plus users log in on their cellphones. Most Americans now have an Internet-enabled phone, and smartphone penetration is growing especially fast in emerging market countries, where Facebook has substantial blocs of its users.
At Thursday’s press event, Mr. Zuckerberg repeatedly signaled that he wanted the new product to enable a mass, global audience to connect to Facebook, especially those have yet to get on the Internet. “We want to build something that’s accessible to everyone,” he said.
Although HTC is rolling out the first new phone with Facebook Home installed, and AT&T has agreed to sell it, other phone makers and carriers may be reluctant to load the software.
Jan Dawson, a telecom analyst at Ovum, said that Apple’s iPhone and many Android smartphones already do a good job of integrating the Facebook application into their phones. And he said phone carriers were unlikely to give a Facebook phone made by HTC much support because the Taiwanese phone maker’s past attempt at a Facebook phone — the ChaCha, which had a physical button for posting photos on Facebook — sold poorly.
“HTC may be desperate enough to do this, but carriers aren’t likely to promote it heavily,” Mr. Dawson said. “As a gimmick, it may bring customers into stores, but they’ll mostly end up buying something else.”
At Facebook headquarters Thursday, HTC’s chief executive, Peter Chou, showed off a model of his new Facebook phone, called HTC First, in lipstick red. “HTC First is the ultimate social phone,” he said. “It combines the new Facebook Home and great HTC design.”
Whether consumers will embrace a phone that emphasizes Facebook over everything else also remains to be seen. Some are likely to have concerns about how much personal information they are being asked to share with Facebook. Additionally, checking Facebook dozens of times every day could result in hefty data use charges, unless users are connected to a Wi-Fi network or negotiate special packages with carriers.
Facebook and AT&T executives said they had taken that into account. Users will be notified when they are about to reach their data limits. The software can also be set to download data-heavy content like video only when the user is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and then save it in its memory.
The software’s most powerful feature is to turn the cellphone into a starkly personal gadget.
Facebook employees, current and past, were invited to the product announcement, a sign of how crucial it has been for Facebook to crack the mobile puzzle. Silicon Valley has whispered for months about the prospects of a Facebook phone. Mr. Zuckerberg has consistently denied building one.
Thursday’s announcement signaled that Facebook had stopped short of even building an operating system. Instead, it had simply altered its rival Google’s technology.
The Android platform, Mr. Zuckerberg said, was built to be open to new integrations. Asked at the news conference whether he feared that Google executives would change their mind about Facebook using it to advance its mobile aims, he turned somewhat testy.
“Anything can change in the future,” he said. “We think Google takes its commitment to openness very seriously.”
Google, for its part, was notably genteel. “This latest collaboration demonstrates the openness and flexibility that has made Android so popular,” the company said in an e-mailed statement. “And it’s a win for users who want a customized Facebook experience from Google Play — the heart of the Android ecosystem — along with their favorite Google services like Gmail, Search and Google Maps.”
Brian X. Chen contributed reporting.
Thursday, March 7, 2013
DealBook: Still-Unhappy Southeastern Seeks Dell Shareholder List
It appears that despite Dell Inc.’s efforts to the contrary, Southeastern Asset Management remains unconvinced that the computer maker’s $24.4 billion sale to its founder is the last best hope for shareholders.
In a letter to the company’s board, Southeastern reiterated its belief that the take-private transaction denied investors the full benefits of Dell’s turnaround. To that end, Southeastern said that it was seeking a full investor list from the company, as well as other books and records.
A number of other investors, including T. Rowe Price, have publicly said they oppose the sale to Michael S. Dell and the investment firm Silver Lake, deeming the group’s $13.65-a-share offer too low. Southeastern has suggested that a better alternative is for Dell to pay out a special $12-a-share dividend, paid for by bringing back overseas cash, selling off Dell Financial Services and raising $9 billion in new debt.
Southeastern cited Dell’s willingness now to bring home some of the company’s substantial cash hoard that is currently held overseas.
The firm also took issue with Dell management for not providing financial results for its product segments, in what Southeastern argued was an attempt to mask Dell’s improving business mix. Had the computer company broken out its results in this way, Southeastern said, the data might reflect the lessening importance of Dell’s struggling PC business and the growth of its enterprise arm.
“While the board of directors characterizes the proposed transaction as a transfer of ‘the risk of the business to the buyout group,’ we believe it is more appropriately characterized as a transfer of ‘the opportunity of the business to the buyout group,’” Southeastern wrote in the letter. “Management knows the company better than anyone, and clearly sees Dell’s substantial unrealized value.”