This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction: November 28, 2013
An earlier version of this article rendered incorrectly the name of one app. It is ParkWhiz, not Parking Whiz.
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction: November 28, 2013
An earlier version of this article rendered incorrectly the name of one app. It is ParkWhiz, not Parking Whiz.
Director Matthew Vaughn has crossed comic-book universes to nab Nick Fury himself, Samuel L. Jackson, to play the bad guy in his upcoming The Secret Service.
Variety has the report on the film, which is based on the comic by Kick-Ass writer Mark Millar. Colin Firth and Taron Egerton have previously been cast in the project.
"Vaughn had always intended to have a big star as his main antagonist, having already pursued Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio," says the trade.
Next up will be finding the female lead, with Emma Watson and Dark Shadows' Bella Heathcote reportedly under consideration.
Talk to Senior Editor Scott Collura on Twitter at @ScottIGN, on IGN at scottcollura and on Facebook.
Andrew Gombert/European Pressphoto Agency Eric Schmidt, Google’s chairman, with what appeared to be Motorola Mobility’s next flagship smartphone on July 11.4:42 p.m. | Updated to add information about Motorola event on Aug. 1.
Motorola Mobility’s efforts to keep secret the details of its first flagship smartphone since the company was bought by Google have run up against reality.
Rumors about Motorola’s smartphone, usually called Moto X, have leaked all over the Web, from small tech blogs to mainstream news outlets. And Eric Schmidt, the chairman of Google, has even been out in public using what appeared to be the new device.
Motorola won’t confirm details about the new device. But all the early exposure, some of it the company’s own doing, makes it seem like this pseudo-secrecy could just be a way to prime the hype pump.
Last month, Motorola’s chief executive, Dennis Woodside, made it known during an onstage interview that Moto X devices would be made in the United States. He coyly admitted that the phone was in his pocket, but shook his head when asked to show it off.
No matter: Mr. Schmidt apparently took care of the visual while at a business conference packed with reporters, holding a new Motorola phone to his ear. “I’m not allowed to comment on the nature of this phone,” Mr. Schmidt said, according to Rachel C. Abrams of Variety.
Mr. Schmidt didn’t need to say much. A day before Independence Day, Motorola advertised the phone in newspapers. The ad hinted that the device would be customizable — “The first smartphone that you can design yourself.” Joanna Stern of ABCNews was quick to clarify that customers would be able to choose the colors of the phone case and add an engraving.
But what can the phone do exactly? Google executives have offered some clues that future Motorola phones would include artificial intelligence and sensors that recognize people’s voices in a room. Spoiling the surprise, the tech blog Ausdroid spotted a video on the Web from Rogers Wireless, a Canadian carrier, showing the Moto X.
The video, which Rogers asked Ausdroid to take down because of copyright infringement, suggested several details, like that the phone constantly listens for a user’s commands and reacts to them. The initiating command is “O.K., Google Now,” similar to the “O.K., Glass” command to control Google Glass. The video also said that the phone would be released in August.
On Friday afternoon, Motorola sent invitations to the press for an event to be held Aug. 1 in New York, where Moto X will most likely get its official introduction.
Nicole Perlroth and Somini Sengupta contributed reporting from San Francisco.
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction: June 15, 2013
An article on Friday about technology companies’ discomfort with and challenges of government surveillance programs misstated the type of order to remain silent about an information request successfully challenged by Twitter in 2011. It was an order authorized by the Stored Communications Act, not a National Security Letter.
The secret court that adjudicates national security-related information requests lifted the veil on its operations a tiny bit on Wednesday, ruling that portions of one of its earlier opinions could be disclosed to the public.
The ruling came in a case by the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation. It had pressed the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to allow one of its opinions to be disclosed under a Freedom of Information Act request. The government argued that there is good reason to keep the case sealed.
The court said it saw no reason to prohibit disclosing the documents sought under the Freedom of Information request. It left it to a federal court in the District of Columbia to make a ruling on the specific Freedom of Information Act litigation.
In other words, the court said it would not stand in the way of another court, if it ruled in favor of the organization’s Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.
“The victory today was a modest one,” E.F.F. wrote in a blog post announcing the decision.
The actions of the court have been the subject of fierce public debate ever since last week’s disclosures, first reported in The Guardian and The Washington Post, of widespread telephone and Internet surveillance efforts authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. On Tuesday, bipartisan legislation was introduced in the Senate calling for the Attorney General to declassify portions of the surveillance court’s opinions, at least its interpretations of the law.
“It is impossible for the American people to have an informed public debate about laws that are interpreted, enforced, and adjudicated in complete secrecy,” Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, one of the co-sponsors of the bill said in a statement.
The chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee, Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, earlier this year asked the court to summarize its major opinions, at least explaining its legal reasoning, while excising the classified facts of the case. The court’s chief justice, Reggie B. Walton, wrote back, explaining why that was not feasible. For one thing, the judge said, summaries would miss out on “the more nuanced or technical point of a court’s analysis.” He added, “For FISC opinions specifically, there is also the very real problem of separating the classified facts from the legal analysis.”
In a secret court in Washington, Yahoo’s top lawyers made their case. The government had sought help in spying on certain foreign users, without a warrant, and Yahoo had refused, saying the broad requests were unconstitutional, Claire Cain Miller reports in The New York Times.
The judges disagreed. That left Yahoo two choices: Hand over the data or break the law.
So Yahoo became part of the National Security Agency’s secret Internet surveillance program, Prism, according to leaked N.S.A. documents, as did seven other Internet companies.
Like almost all the actions of the secret court, which operates under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, the details of its disagreement with Yahoo were never made public beyond a heavily redacted court order, one of the few public documents ever to emerge from the court. The name of the company had not been revealed until now. Yahoo’s involvement was confirmed by two people with knowledge of the proceedings. Yahoo declined to comment.
But the decision has had lasting repercussions for the dozens of companies that store troves of their users’ personal information and receive these national security requests — it puts them on notice that they need not even try to test their legality. And despite the murky details, the case offers a glimpse of the push and pull among tech companies and the intelligence and law enforcement agencies that try to tap into the reams of personal data stored on their servers.
Photo Eric Liebowitz/The CW The cellphones in “Gossip Girl” are now Windows phones.Monday night’s mystery is whether “Gossip Girl,” in the series finale, will finally reveal the identity of Gossip Girl herself. Less of a mystery is what kind of device she probably uses to send her scandalous blasts.
Chances are that it’s Windows.
Microsoft’s products — most recently Windows phones and tablets, with their telltale colored tiles directing you to apps, folders and social networking conversations saved on your device — have been slipping into the Upper East Side, as props and even lines in the scripts.
Microsoft pays for the product placement as a sponsor of the show. It turns out that the company has an astute understanding of one of the tag lines of “Gossip Girl”: “You’re nobody until you’re talked about.”
Young women copy the characters’ schoolgirl blazers and ankle boots, and fashion designers have paid to have their clothes featured in the show. So it only makes sense that Microsoft hopes people will also copy the characters’ technology choices.
And technology has been crucial to certain plot developments — whether it is an intimate moment recorded on a cellphone that comes back to haunt those involved, a character’s breaking into her friend’s Web site or e-mail account or the frequent Gossip Girl text message blasts.
A couple years ago, the characters started saying, “Bing it” when they wanted to search online — although sadly for Microsoft, that phrase did not become a runaway trend the way that, for instance, Serena’s tousled hair has.
Hewlett-Packard is also a sponsor. After Serena used the HP Envy 14 Spectre laptop on the show before it was available to buy, the network ran a contest to give one away.
In the last few episodes, leading up to Monday’s finale, Nate and Chuck stole the cellphone (a Windows phone, of course) of Chuck’s father’s business manager to eavesdrop on Chuck’s father, and Serena looked up Thanksgiving recipes on a tablet (Windows 8).
It is a stretch that not one member of “Manhattan’s elite” uses an iPhone, but it is a fantasy show.
Maybe Microsoft’s product placement contract had a clause that said evil characters, like Bart Bass, wouldn’t use Windows devices. When a dead man rang the phone of Mr. Bass, who has also recently arisen from the dead (it’s a long story), a close look showed that he carried a BlackBerry.