Friday, December 14, 2012
Browser Wars Flare Again, This Time for Phones and Tablets
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Bits Blog: A New iPad Browser Surfs the Web So You Don't Have To
What if your Internet browser showed you what it thought you wanted to see online, instead of waiting for you to direct it?
That is what Rockmelt’s new browser for the iPad does. The browser, which became available in the App Store Thursday, does not look like a browser at all. Instead, it is full of boxes showing you things you might like from around the Web.
“The Internet is vast,” said Eric Vishria, Rockmelt’s co-founder and chief executive. “We are trying to take the portion of the Internet that is interesting to you and pull it together.”
Rockmelt landed with a splash when it introduced its desktop browser in 2010, in large part because it was founded and financed by Netscape alumni who know a thing or two about browsers. They include Marc Andreessen, Netscape’s co-founder and a Rockmelt investor, and Tim Howes, a Netscape executive and Rockmelt’s co-founder.
Yet it has been slow to get traction. Four million people have downloaded it, the company says, and a few hundred thousand of them use it daily. That is tiny compared with usage of the biggest browsers — Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox. But still, Mr. Vishria said, active users seem to like it, keeping it open seven hours and 15 minutes a day.
The idea was that people need a browser for the social era, with updates from friends and social networks incorporated. The new iPad version goes a step further, filling the blank space in a typical browser with images, posts and articles from around the Web. Browsers should incorporate new visual interfaces on sites like Fab and Pinterest and new ways of communication on sites like Facebook and Twitter, Mr. Vishria said.
“If you think about how we all use the Web today, it’s radically different from 10 years ago,” he said. “But browsers are the same dumb window they were.”
People log in to Rockmelt’s new iPad browser with their Facebook credentials. Over time, Rockmelt learns what people are interested in based on what they click and share, to construct a stream of content, and users can manually add feeds as well. They can save tabs or pages to read later, and those tabs or pages are stored in the cloud for access from another device.
Though it sounds similar to other apps like Flipboard and Zite, Mr. Vishria said it was different because it tapped into the whole Internet and there was a search bar to travel elsewhere on the Web. Other companies, like Google, are also trying to fold social networking information into Web results and show people what it thinks they want before they ask for it.
Still, it is unclear that people want to slap together a browser, social media and their favorite sites. It can be distracting to see an avalanche of content every time you open a browser. And while some people do not even know what a browser is, they have an option to download one different from the one their computer or iPad came with.
That is one reason Rockmelt’s users so far are young people who have grown up online, Mr. Vishria said. Two-thirds are under 25 and 83 percent are under 35.
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Slipstream: In Microsoft’s New Browser, the Privacy Light Is Already On
E-mail: slipstream@nytimes.com.
Monday, July 16, 2012
Bits Blog: Google and F.T.C. Set to Settle Browser Privacy Charge
7:17 p.m. | Updated SAN FRANCISCO — Google and the Federal Trade Commission are near a $22.5 million settlement agreement related to charges that Google bypassed privacy settings in Apple’s Safari browser to show advertisements, according to a person briefed on the proposed settlement.
The $22.5 million fine would be the largest privacy-related settlement in F.T.C. history. It comes as the commission investigates Google for antitrust violations and cracks down on privacy missteps by tech companies, including Google, which last year agreed to pay for any future privacy blunders as part of a separate F.T.C. settlement.
A spokesman for the commission, Peter Kaplan, declined to comment. Chris Gaither, a Google spokesman, also would not comment on the settlement, but said, “We do set the highest standards of privacy and security for our users.”
The case involves how Google shows users personalized Web ads based on their interests. Google’s DoubleClick ad network customizes ads based on sites that users have previously visited, and ads they have recommended to friends by using the Google +1 button. To do this, Google uses cookies, small files that allow Web sites to do things like identify the types of Web pages a user visits.
If you have visited travel Web sites or recommended ads for resorts, for instance, Google might show you vacation ads on the next Web site you visit.
Safari, unlike other browsers, blocks cookies from ad networks like Google’s. But because of a loophole, Google had been able to avoid the block, as researchers discovered in February. It installed cookies and tracked Safari users across the Web to show them personalized ads.
At the time, Google said this was unintentional and had resulted from a change in Safari of which Google was unaware. When the issue was brought to Google’s attention, the company said, it stopped using the cookies and showing personalized ads on Safari browsers. It also changed an out-of-date page in its help center that gave Safari users inaccurate information about ad-related cookies.
“We have now changed that page and taken steps to remove the ad cookies, which collected no personal information, from Apple’s browsers,” Google said in a statement Tuesday.
Google will not claim liability for the privacy violations, according to a person briefed on the settlement, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal. Google agreed to settle in part to avoid a court battle while it faces broader regulatory investigations by the F.T.C., the person said. The settlement is subject to approval by the agency’s commissioners.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Bits Blog: Google and F.T.C. Set to Settle Browser Privacy Charge
7:17 p.m. | Updated SAN FRANCISCO — Google and the Federal Trade Commission are near a $22.5 million settlement agreement related to charges that Google bypassed privacy settings in Apple’s Safari browser to show advertisements, according to a person briefed on the proposed settlement.
The $22.5 million fine would be the largest privacy-related settlement in F.T.C. history. It comes as the commission investigates Google for antitrust violations and cracks down on privacy missteps by tech companies, including Google, which last year agreed to pay for any future privacy blunders as part of a separate F.T.C. settlement.
A spokesman for the commission, Peter Kaplan, declined to comment. Chris Gaither, a Google spokesman, also would not comment on the settlement, but said, “We do set the highest standards of privacy and security for our users.”
The case involves how Google shows users personalized Web ads based on their interests. Google’s DoubleClick ad network customizes ads based on sites that users have previously visited, and ads they have recommended to friends by using the Google +1 button. To do this, Google uses cookies, small files that allow Web sites to do things like identify the types of Web pages a user visits.
If you have visited travel Web sites or recommended ads for resorts, for instance, Google might show you vacation ads on the next Web site you visit.
Safari, unlike other browsers, blocks cookies from ad networks like Google’s. But because of a loophole, Google had been able to avoid the block, as researchers discovered in February. It installed cookies and tracked Safari users across the Web to show them personalized ads.
At the time, Google said this was unintentional and had resulted from a change in Safari of which Google was unaware. When the issue was brought to Google’s attention, the company said, it stopped using the cookies and showing personalized ads on Safari browsers. It also changed an out-of-date page in its help center that gave Safari users inaccurate information about ad-related cookies.
“We have now changed that page and taken steps to remove the ad cookies, which collected no personal information, from Apple’s browsers,” Google said in a statement Tuesday.
Google will not claim liability for the privacy violations, according to a person briefed on the settlement, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal. Google agreed to settle in part to avoid a court battle while it faces broader regulatory investigations by the F.T.C., the person said. The settlement is subject to approval by the agency’s commissioners.