Saturday, August 3, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
Bits Blog: Syria Loses Access to the Internet
Umbrella Security Labs A graphic shows Internet addresses in Syria were no longer reachable after 3 p.m.Syria’s access to the Internet was cut on Tuesday. The most likely culprit, security researchers said, was the Syrian government.
Syrian Internet traffic came to a halt just before 3 p.m. Eastern time. Google reported a drop in Internet traffic around that time, as did the Local Coordinating Committees, an antigovernment activist group in Syria.
Four physical cables connect Syria to the Internet — three under the sea, and the fourth over land through Turkey. For outsiders to cause Tuesday’s outage, security experts say, they would have had to physically cut all four cables simultaneously.
That does not appear to have happened in this case, according to security experts. Instead, someone with access to the physical connections dropped the Border Gateway Protocol, or B.G.P., routes into Syria in such a way that any information trying to enter the country was not able to find its way.
“It’s akin to someone removing all the street signs into Syria,” said Matthew Prince, the founder of CloudFlare, an Internet security firm that distributes large volumes of traffic across the Internet. The firm put together a video illustrating Syria’s outage.
The same technique was used to shut down the Internet and mobile phone service last November. Syrian government officials said terrorists, not the government, were responsible for that outage, but evidence pointed to government involvement.
Ironically, Syrian opposition groups are more immune to Internet and cellphone outages than ordinary Syrians. In Syria’s opposition-controlled territories, rebels have successfully built an alternate system of Internet and cellphone connectivity using two-way satellite devices.
But experts warn that the use of satellite devices also makes it much easier for the Syrian government to track the rebels’ location.
“Radio direction finding and signals intelligence could easily be deployed in this scenario to figure out where the opposition is communicating from,” said John Scott-Railton, a research fellow at the Citizen Lab, an organization at the University of Toronto that focuses on Internet security.
Sunday, March 3, 2013
German Bill Limits Search Engines’ Free Access to News
Monday, February 25, 2013
In a Slight Shift, North Korea Widens Internet Access, but Just for Visitors
Sunday, February 24, 2013
IHT Rendezvous: North Korea Widens Internet Access, but Just for Visitors
Jon Chol Jin/Associated Press North Korea said it will allow Koryolink to give foreigners access to mobile Internet service. In January, above, tourists inquired about cellphone rentals at Pyongyang Airport.HONG KONG — North Korea will finally allow Internet searches on mobile devices and laptops. But if you’re a North Korean, you’re out of luck — only foreigners will get this privilege.
Cracking the door open slightly to wider Internet use, the government will allow a company called Koryolink to give foreigners access to 3G mobile Internet service by March 1, The Associated Press reported.
The decision, announced Friday, comes a month after Google’s chairman, Eric E. Schmidt, visited Pyongyang and prodded officials on allowing Internet access, noting how easy it would be to set up through Koryolink’s expanding 3G network. Presumably, his appeal was directed at giving North Koreans such capability.
“As the world becomes increasingly connected, their decision to be virtually isolated is very much going to affect their physical world, their economic growth and so forth,” Mr. Schmidt told reporters after arriving at Beijing International Airport following his visit to North Korea. “We made that alternative very, very clear.”
Foreigners were only recently allowed to use cellphones in the country. Previously, they had to surrender their phones with customs agents.
Saturday, October 27, 2012
China Blocks Web Access to Times
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Twitter Blocks Germans’ Access to Neo-Nazis’ Account
Stefan Pauly contributed reporting from Berlin, and Somini Sengupta from San Francisco.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
News Analysis: The Dangers of Allowing an Adversary Access to a Network
Schoolchildren learn the tale of the Trojan Horse, the giant gift in which Odysseus and a platoon of 30 Greek soldiers hid to gain access to the heavily defended city.
Thousands of years later, it remains a thoroughly modern concept that is increasingly found at the heart of
For more than a decade, Pentagon officials have been anxious about the growing reliance by the
Thus it was striking that the word “Trojan” was not mentioned in a 52-page report issued Monday by the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence focusing on the activities of two giant Chinese telecommunications firms, Huawei and ZTE, which have long been suspected of having links to the Chinese government.
Stuxnet, a surreptitious program that was reportedly designed by United States and Israeli intelligence agencies to afflict the Iranian nuclear enrichment program, had many of the properties of a highly sophisticated Trojan horse. The program was at the heart of a concerted effort to delay or destroy the Iranian Natanz nuclear fuel facility. The attack damaged centrifuges and might have provided a surveillance window into Iranian activities by giving Western intelligence agencies unfettered access to the desktop computers of Iranian project managers.
The program acted as a Trojan horse, perhaps delivered first on a USB memory stick, that then spread through computer networks inside the secret facility before reaching the outside world. A striking map of the paths followed by Stuxnet infection created by researchers at
Possibly because the United States is making Trojan horses, that term — if it exists in the House report on Huawei and ZTE — is said to be found only in a classified annex to the report that has not been made available.
The published report consists of a series of allegations about the activities of the companies, including bribery and surveillance, but little hard evidence. Reports of “suspicious” incidents, including an ostensible case of “beaconing” from Cricket, a
If this issue is important enough, said
According to several former government officials, the real issue is not what has happened in the past but rather what might happen if Huawei gear were widely used in American telecommunications networks. Such use would mean that the company would have to serve and fix the network, requiring extensive access for its technical personnel to telecommunications networks in the United States.
The danger in letting your potential adversary maintain your network has already been demonstrated, according to Mr. Clarke, who wrote in “Cyber War: The Next Threat to National Security and What to Do About It.” In 2007, a remarkably sophisticated computer attack by
Mr. Clarke disputes a recent New Yorker article that asserted that the bombing attack was supported by conventional electronic warfare, which involves jamming or deceiving an enemies’ radar with high-powered radio waves. “Regular electronic warfare fills the frequencies with static and overpowers the frequencies,” he said. “That wakes people up. That didn’t happen. The Syrians didn’t notice the jamming of their radars.”
In 2009, The New York Times reported that an American semiconductor industry executive who claimed to have direct knowledge of the operation said that technology for disabling the radars had been supplied by Americans to the Israeli electronic intelligence agency, Unit 8200.
If his account is true, it may be the real reason that the government has worked so hard to make sure that American computer networks are not made in