Sunday, January 25, 2015

Diplo Knows Taylor Swift's 'Scary' Secrets, Praises Tyler the Creator's Star Power

Contact Us

Pari Dukovic/GQ

Diplo, a driving force in the EDM game, has made the successful leap to the world of hip-hop and R&B. As a founder of the Mad Decent record label, the DJ always has his ears in tune with what’s up next.

So what are his overall predictions for the future of the music business? In an interview with GQ magazine, the 36-year-old says he expects a lot of young artists, like Odd Future and Tyler the Creator, to eventually grow up and make different types of music. While at a recent performance, Diplo formed a very interesting opinion about the rap collective.

“I’m not totally sure, but I just did [Camp Flog Gnaw] Carnival, and I was surprised at how amazing their production was,” he said. “I just thought they were so hood, but it was really tight. I think that Tyler’s gonna grow up for sure. It’s punk rock. It speaks to a lot of kids that want to be f—ing angry, and he’s very vibe-y, and I like that.”

“But I think he’s also gonna grow up,” added the producer. “Just like the Beastie Boys had records like ‘Fight For Your Right,’ and then, you know, 10 years later, they’re Buddhist. If I had to put my money on Tyler, I would, definitely,” he stated. “I definitely think he’s a star, and he’s not stupid by and means. He’s growing and he’s gonna get better for sure.”

The Major Lazer member also spoke about his Internet “beef” with singer Lorde and his feelings about Taylor Swift. In November of last year, the ‘About That Life’ creator dissed Swift’s body and her fans retaliated.

“Someone should make a Kickstarter to get Taylor Swift a Booty,” he wrote. Lorde, who’s good friends with the blonde pop star, hit him back with a diss tweet of her own and from there Swift’s fans jumped in and tore Diplo apart.

“She has like forty million Twitter fans,” he estimated. “It’s crazy. I’m a fan though. Her powers–she’s big, she’s strong bro. Taylor Swift is very strategic with her friends and enemies, and I know lots of secrets. I can’t divulge, but I know a lot of stuff about her. And she’s definitely, there’s definitely scary stuff going on. And I’m scared. I’m scared for my life.”

“Like, Taylor Swift fans are really crazy,” he continued. “They threatened to murder me and stuff. It’s really bizarre, and disgusting. They’re the worst people in the world.”

You can read Diplo’s full GQ interview here.

See 20 Rappers’ & Singers’ Yearbook Photos You Won’t Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment