Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gadgetwise Blog: Great Sound, and Easy on the Wallet

The Jax in-ear headphones from Sol Republic. The Jax in-ear headphones from Sol Republic.

Expanding its stable of audio products, Sol Republic recently introduced a line of low-priced in-ear headphones called Jax.

Jax headphones run about $40 each, or $20 less than Amp headphones, their counterparts at Sol Republic. The sound engine in Jax is new, but not as powerful as Amp’s. Still, Jax delivers clarity and a booming bass, Sol Republic’s signature sound.

Designed for everyday use, Jax has a long, flat cord that won’t tangle. And at 54 inches long, it easily reaches my work computer, allowing me to lean back in my desk chair while listening to music. The durable cord is equally capable on the go; I could plug the headphones into my iPhone, slide the phone into my pocket and head home on the subway without worrying about disconnecting the cord.

However, I was concerned about the earbuds, which were a bit too heavy and had a tendency to pop out of my ears. And that long cord actually worked against the headphones, constantly tugging at the earbuds. I was eager to try the headphones on a run in Central Park, but I was distracted the whole time because I was trying to find a secure fit.

I tried replacing the ear tips with other sizes, but I still could not get a good fit. My other option was to jam the tips into my ear canal, something I’m certain my doctor would not recommend.

A three-button remote control and microphone at the yoke allows for adjusting the volume and switching to phone calls on Apple devices. The remote also works as a single-button universal control that is compatible with other devices, including Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy.

The Jax headphones come in blue or white and are available on the Sol Republic Web site and at electronics retailers. Offering great sound, they are a good alternative to higher-priced in-ear headphones; I just wish the design was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment